Friday, June 27, 2008

Hey, are you single...give me the quick answer?

Why does this question, for most, come with an explanation like you stole something? Why do we have several sub-categories for this word, Single? Why can’t we give a straight forward answer? Let’s take a closer look. I have decided to visually show you how our generation chooses to use other words when in fact their status is Single. By the time I’m done giving my $0.08, you’d have a better understanding of how I would answer the main question. So what is the TRUE definition of being single?

Hey are you single? Well I'm....

Society
  • Talking to folks
  • Dating
  • Kicking it
  • Exlcusively Talking/Dating
  • Got a Girlfriend/Boyfriend
  • Single
  • Married
  • Separated (still Married)
  • Divorced
  • Widow

Government:

  • Single
  • Married
  • Divorced
  • Widow


Here is my comical view of how society likes to define relationships, situations, and status. The first five reasons usually come with a laundry list. Now let’s look at how the good ole government classifies our status. Do you see the difference? It’s pretty straight and to the point. It seems like this is normal in Generation X and Y. If I asked my grandfather, what my status was, he’d say Single without hesitation. It’s because I’m NOT married. Webster defines single as being “unmarried.”


For my humor, let’s break some of these “statuses” down…The following are MY definitions of these words (short versions).

Kicking it – hanging out, not spending too much money. Usually the checks are separate. You haven’t told anyone about this person. If you were going out with this person and your boy/girl called, you’d change your plans. Nothing serious.

Dating /Talking – This is the time when one is getting to know people. During this process, you are finding out what you like. I think you can date and talk to as many folks as you see fit. I think you are considering your interest during this time.

Exclusively Talking/Dating – Let me say, this is a “status” that I heard in college. Apparently it means that you’ve found one person to hang out with. You actually tell a few folks about this person and don’t mind being seen in public.

Girlfriend/Boyfriend – This person takes rank over friends, in most cases. For some reason everything goes from “I” to “We”. Family knows of this person. A picture of the both of you is sitting on the table from one of those photo booths in the mall. You are “committed.”

GUESS WHAT?....You are still single……. If I’ve missed something…feel free to comment. I’d love to know more..

By the way…no charge:
Separated (Still Married) – To me this is the “What did I get myself into..I need some space to clear my thoughts…but I still wanna be married….wait…I think so…etc” status…I wouldn’t touch this person/situation with a 10 foot pole

Have you ever been out and guy/girl grabs your hand to see if you are wearing a wedding band, that means he or she is checking to see if you are single, no wedding band equates to fair game. Some might say, well that’s not fair, I have a man/woman that I am devoted to and I go to the club. My question would then be why are you at the club? LOL... that’s a different blog topic.

So let me ask you this, you say you dating or talking to someone. When you complete your taxes, do you check single? Or do you write in, “I’m currently dating?”... Let’s stop creating these various statuses. When you go out, and someone yells "where the single ladies" I'm sure those hands will be raised. At the end of the day, dating, talking, hanging out and even the boyfriend/girlfriend terms hold no true weight.

I’ve concluded we are all single until we are married. This is based on my understanding of the bible. We all will be married once God shows us, man and/or woman our complementary mate. Only then should we should say we are NOT single.

6 comments:

Ms.Whit said...

Very interesting... I've used a few of those statuses a time or two. You're right though, we're all single until we get married. For some reason, we've resorted to giving everything a title (relationship, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc.), and I've recently learned that a title is nothing but a word/phrase. It carries no weight and apparently no responsibility. My point... I agree 110% with you.

Anonymous said...

This was hilariously true! I've also used most of those terms to define my situation... but at the end of the day was still single/unmarried. I couldn't agree with you more!
**DR4

Anonymous said...

Point well made. I wish more females felt the same way!! To me this is a black and white thing but some ppl definetly mix the two and reside in the gray area.

Blog Coordinator said...

Well Well Well....I would have to agree with you 100% (Technically).. but on the other hand I believe that if I was "Exclusively Dating" someone that it held some type of weight. I have considered myself in all of the categories at some point in time. However, ultimately, you are right!!!

Don said...

I agree, I think we are all single until we have taken a vow of matrimony. *whew* You just made me feel better about years of cheating.

Nah, let me stop playing with you.

Good points made and well-recieved.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are all single til we marry. Yes, there are many titles out there for guy/girl relationships. I think the difference is where a particular ranks on your priority list. Of course not everyone can be high priority...and some might not be on the list (although they would think and hope they were) HA!